I’ve been wanting to make the Seamwork Mel jogging pants since they were released back in January. The beginning of the year is, of course, the normal peak time for loungewear/activewear after the excesses of the holiday season, but this year has been a little different. This is also the first project from my capsule wardrobe plan and it’s a quick sew, as you would expect from jogging pants – it took me just a couple of hours. I’ve seen quite a few versions around and think they look great on everybody.
The Seamwork Mel pants were released in the January issue of Seamwork magazine, along with a hoodie pattern. I immediately liked the slim profile and clean look of the joggers and printed off the pattern right away. They come in sizes 0 to 26 – a fantastic size range – and have pockets, cuffs and an elasticised waist, which also has a drawstring.
Note: I recently joined the Seamwork ambassador team, which I’m very excited about. It gives me a chance to have some input into the behind-the-scenes workings over at Seamwork HQ, giving feedback on patterns, magazine articles, etc. In return I am subscribed to the service for free for a year. Nevertheless, I’m not under any obligation to write subjective reviews of Seamwork patterns and all opinions remain my own. You can read more about the ambassador team here if you’re interested.
So, since I’m going to be wearing these a LOT, I decided to make them out of some lovely luxurious knit fabric from the old stash. I got this silky soft organic soy French terry (in natural colour) from The Confident Stitch in Montana last year while I was on holiday and now I want more! It’s hard to describe the feel of the right side, but it’s very, very smooth and the wrong side has a looped French terry underside. Apparently it doesn’t pill either, so I’m looking forward to testing that in the wash. It must be said that it’s very slightly see-through as jogging bottoms, but I’ll just have to coordinate my underwear or wear a hoodie in public. Actually in the pics it doesn’t look too bad!
I cut out the 16 and made a few adjustments, based on recent pants-making experience. I took an inch out the of the leg length and increased the crotch rise by 1/2″ at the front and back. Finally I scooped out 1/2″ on the front crotch and extended it by 1/2″ also. I’ve been doing a flat or/and low butt adjustment on the back of my trousers lately, but I didn’t bother this time as I didn’t think it was so necessary with jogging bottoms and I reckon they’re fine.
The construction was simple and straightforward and I particularly liked the pocket instruction which can be done entirely on the serger and gives a neat finish. The waistband was also nicely thought out – you sew a channel for the elastic first and then topstitch two lines of zigzag as a channel for the drawstring. I made it even simpler by omitting sewing buttonholes for the drawstring and simply snipped some holes with my stork scissors. I didn’t have any proper drawstring, so used this cool stripey piping I got from Drygoods Design eons ago. I really like it!
Next time I think I’ll taper the legs slightly (which is handily one of the included hacks from that month’s accompanying magazine) and perhaps take a smidgeon more off the length, but really, they’re a very solid pair of joggers and they are going to be worn a lot! (with white knickers).