As part of the Seamwork Ambassador team, I get to see all the patterns fairly early in the month. I’m not under any obligation to make them, but if one takes my fancy, I have access to it before publication. This month, one of the patterns is the Beckett overalls and I thought they looked like they’d be fun to make!
I’ve been working on the Seamwork Clarke for some weeks now. So far, I’ve made two tops and two dresses, one of them a fail, which I’ll go into below. There’s a fair bit to talk about: working on the bias vs. cutting on the straight grain, extending to a dress and quite a bit of trial and error, to be honest, so I’m going to split this into two posts. Today, I’m going to write about my first Clarke tank and my two dresses, with a few lessons I learnt about working on the bias. Next week I’ll post my other tank and a bias skirt I’m working on – the Seamwork Dezi – which will hopefully make for a nice duo. Fingers crossed!
Well, it’s been a wee while since my last post! I’ve been working away on various bits and pieces, and they’ve all pretty much been multi-part projects where I’m trying to nail the fit of a wardrobe staple. This post is about my little journey with the knit tank. During this project I had one of those rare golden moments of affirmation that one is not actually bleedin’ crazy, but instead that one has made a very reasonable guesstimate and deduction in the style of, say, Sherlock Holmes perhaps. It doesn’t happen very often.
Wearing Julia tank No. 2 in the beautiful northern Cascades, WA
I ended up making both of the June patterns from Seamwork back at the beginning of May, because they seemed like a good pairing and I had the idea to go crazy and try block printing the fabric to make some sort of loosely matching outfit. And… it was fun! I did it in a very basic manner, which I’ll briefly outline below, but I’m really happy with the results. I think the shorts came out better than the top, personally, but both are not far off what I was aiming for.
Note: I’m a member of the Seamwork ambassador team, which gives me a chance to have some input into the behind-the-scenes workings over at Seamwork HQ, giving feedback on patterns, magazine articles, etc. In return I am subscribed to the service for free for a year. Nevertheless, I’m not under any obligation to write subjective reviews of Seamwork patterns and all opinions remain my own.Continue reading “New outfit: Seamwork Dorian shorts and Willis top”→
I was quite attracted to the Seamwork Rory pattern when it came out last year and I remembered it when I was putting together some ideas for my loungewear plan. I rather like cut-on sleeves for a tee as long as it’s in not too stiff a fabric and also liked the base shape of the tee, which is gathered into a hem band with two ties.
Like all of Seamwork’s patterns, Rory comes in two size ranges: 0-16 with a C cup and 18-30 with a DD cup. I made the 14 graded out to 16 at the hip because, even though it’s a cut-on shoulder, I didn’t want it to be too big. My high bust is 40″ – so I could really pick anything between a size 12 if I used my HB measurement as the “bust measurement”, up to the 14/16 if I added on the 3 inches for the C cup to get to 43 inches, which is right between 14 and 16. There are different ways to approach this, but I would probably tend towards the narrower shoulder, so the 14 was my decision and I find a Seamwork 14 shoulder quite a good match for me. I actually think I would have been fine with a 14 all over as there’s a decent bit of ease going on, but the shape isn’t bad at all. Continue reading “New tops: Seamwork Rory twice over”→
The Lyle dress is one of the new May patterns for Seamwork and it’s one of the fastest dresses I’ve made in a long time. It fits perfectly into my loungewear capsule wardrobe – funnily, enough, I actually pinned a RTW dress that looked quite similar to this right before I saw this new Seamwork pattern, so was really pleased when I saw what the new patterns were!
I made a note in my last post, but the reason I got to make the pattern early is that I recently joined the Seamwork ambassador team, which I am very excited about! I’ve been a subscriber from Day 1 and when I saw they were looking for people to get involved, I threw my name in the hat. It basically gives me a chance to have some input into the behind-the-scenes workings over at Seamwork HQ, giving feedback on patterns, magazine articles, making up new patterns, etc. In return, I’m subscribed to the service for free for a year, along with a fine bunch of other sewists. You can read more about the ambassador team here if you’re interested. Continue reading “New dress: A sporty Seamwork Lyle dress”→
I’ve been wanting to make the Seamwork Mel jogging pants since they were released back in January. The beginning of the year is, of course, the normal peak time for loungewear/activewear after the excesses of the holiday season, but this year has been a little different. This is also the first project from my capsule wardrobe plan and it’s a quick sew, as you would expect from jogging pants – it took me just a couple of hours. I’ve seen quite a few versions around and think they look great on everybody.