New coat: Coat Q from Atelier to Nani Iro in polka dot linen

Hello again! How are you all doing? Have you been sewing up a storm or has your sewjo been dampened recently? I would say it’s a 50:50 split with the sewists I know. If you fall into the latter, I can completely understand, but take heart in the fact we’ll be over this soon and I’m sure all that sewing enthusiasm will come roaring back with a vengeance! Anyway, that’s my public announcement over, so time to give you a few more details on my recent linen coat project.

20200328_141439

This was a very fun and quick coat to make. This is my second project from the Nani Iro Atelier, or Atelier to Nani Iro book (as the Instagram translation has it) and I took a bit of a risk on it. It was the topper for my capsule wardrobe as part of #thegreatmodulesewalong project hosted by Whitney and Carla over on Instagram and was the piece that was supposed to hold the collection together and, in fact, the garment around which I based everything else. There weren’t too many reviews of the coat I could find outside of Instagram, but I know Elle Gee Makes made a great one last year, so that’s a good review to check out if you want to take a look at another version of the coat. Continue reading “New coat: Coat Q from Atelier to Nani Iro in polka dot linen”

New dress: Wiksten shift in Nani Iro Kokka double gauze

The Wiksten shift is a pattern that has been super-popular this year. When I first saw it, I was definitely like, “Meh”, because , as mentioned in previous posts, the boxy shift silhouette has never been part of my repertoire, owing to a curvy figure that needs some definition. However, my feelings started to change when I saw my friend Melizza (@melizzamakes), who tested the garment for Jenny Wiksten, fashion not just one, but multiple gorgeous versions. Still, I thought, maybe it just looks amazing on Melizza (which would certainly not be out of the question). Then I saw other versions pop up – on all shapes and sizes – and, I kid you not, EVERYBODY – and I really mean everybody – looks fantastic in this dress. Check out #wikstenshiftdress on Instagram and see for yourself.

20190810_191400

There’s something about the proportions of the dress: the neckline and sleeves, versus the length and width; I can’t say what exactly, but Jenny Wiksten got this draft bang on. I reached tipping point sometime in June and went from being indifferent to this pattern to being practically desperate to make one overnight. I had a few other garments in my queue to finish first, but browsed through my stash and, because this shape is such a vehicle for showing off a fabric, had literally dozens of suitable pieces I wanted to use. Continue reading “New dress: Wiksten shift in Nani Iro Kokka double gauze”

New shirt: the adjusted Melilot in Nani Iro double gauze

I made the first Deer and Doe M√©lilot as a project for the Sewstripes theme month for the Sewcialists community blog and I love it. It gets regular wear and I knew I’d want to repeat the process and sew some more. As I mentioned in that blog post, I felt I’d done a good job on fitting the front, with a full bust adjustment, but that the back needed to be taken care of next. Well, there’s no time like the present, so I decided to tackle my back fit issues with this next iteration.

20180430_124201

I know I get that all-too-familiar pooling of fabric at the base of my back with any fitted blouse or dress and this is something I needed to tackle. I was working on a base case assumption of having a swayback issue, but before I made that adjustment, I did a little reading around the subject. It turns out that the fabric excess can also be caused by an erect back, a full front (bust), a generous bum, just to mention a few issues. Since the problem is basically that the length of your back piece is too long – somewhere – these all make sense. Continue reading “New shirt: the adjusted Melilot in Nani Iro double gauze”

New bag: Noodlehead Trail Tote

20160323_111753

A new bag! It’s a present for someone, but I’ve sent it already, so this won’t spoil any surprise. I’m pretty sure they don’t read this blog anyway. ūüôā You may recognise this fabric. It’s the Nani Iro brushed cotton that I made my Beatrix top with. In fact, I decided to make this bag first and then used the “remainder” for the Beatrix top, which seems a funny way round, but there you are. The bag recipient loves red and I happened to know she just bought a new grey jacket, so it was ¬†a fairly easy colour-combo decision. I added a pop of bright blue inside for a wee surprise. Continue reading “New bag: Noodlehead Trail Tote”

New make: Beatrix Nani Iro top

 

20160213_142544I bought a few pieces of Nani Iro fabric from Miss Matatabi a few months ago and have been looking at them every now and again since then.¬†I said I’d¬†make a bag for my mother-in-law after she¬†admired the Noodlehead Cross Gatherer bag I made a few weeks ago, and her favourite colours are red and yellow, so I¬†thought I’d use this gorgeous red flowered brushed cotton I have from the Nani Iro pile. However, that’s going to use very little fabric, so I looked for a pattern that I might be able to squeeze out of the remaining 1.75m. I’ve been admiring the Beatrix top for a while – it was the View A + placket version I saw on the Made by Rae website that finally sold it to me – and it seemed the perfect project to show off this vibrant design. Continue reading “New make: Beatrix Nani Iro top”